USCIS announced today that is has published an updated version of the M-274, Handbook for Employers: Guidance for Completing Form I-9 (PDF, 5.36 MB). As per USCIS:
The Handbook for Employers provides employers with detailed guidance for completing Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. This version dated Jan. 22, 2017, replaces the previous version. It reflects revisions to Form I-9, which was revised on Nov. 14, 2016.
The Handbook for Employers:
• Details how to properly complete the revised Form I-9
• Captures policy and regulatory changes since 2013
• Is written in plain language, so that it is easier to understand
• Includes a streamlined questions and answers section
• Features updated tables, new figures, and more current sample documents
• Explains guidance regarding automatic extensions for certain Employment Authorization Documents
Review the updated Handbook for Employers or see the Table of Changes for Revised M-274 (PDF, 495 KB) for highlights of the changes.
We anticipate that I-9 audits of employers will be on the rise in the coming year. Now is a good time employers to review I-9 practices and procedures. This review should start with a careful read of the M-274 Handbook, followed by a self-audit of I-9 records and practices. Last year, the government raised the minimum level for fines by nearly double, and so a bit of due diligence may go a long way.